Monday, April 23, 2012

Water's Edge vs River Cafe

I have provisionally booked at table at the River Cafe for 12.30pm; after reading some of the reviews I%26#39;m now thinking that maybe I should swap to the River%26#39;s Edge and take their complimentary water taxi from 34th Street - plan to visit Ground Zero that morning before heading to Brooklyn. This all takes place on a Saturday in early December and I would like to walk the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan. I don%26#39;t want to squeeze everything into four days, but is it worth spending/wasting a half day (afternoon to evening) in and around Brooklyn so that we can walk back at sunset? Any ideas?





Kindest Regards



Lynne



Water's Edge vs River Cafe


There are a lot of questions here, Lynn.:) First, Water%26#39;s Edge is not in Brooklyn, it%26#39;s in Queens. So if you%26#39;re trying to do this meal/Ground Zero/walk the Brooklyn Bridge all on the same day, the Water%26#39;s Edge is geographically undesirable. ;O) It%26#39;s somewhat easier to get to from Manhattan with their ferry, but I don%26#39;t know whether you%26#39;re still trying to do the bridge. The Water%26#39;s Edge is near the 59th st. bridge.





If you%26#39;re becoming concerned about the value of the meal at River Cafe, there are other dining options near the Brooklyn bridge like Pete%26#39;s Downtown (an inexpensive Italian restaurant next to River Cafe with a view, but not as dramatic as River Cafe. There%26#39;s also Grimaldi%26#39;s for pizza which is another popular eatery on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge. Brooklyn Heights is the lovely residential area near the Brooklyn Promenade and there are lots of restaurant options there too, but not with views.





Is it worth spending a half day in Brooklyn to walk back at sunset? Depends on you and what else you plan to do I guess. I think the view is great at any time.



Water's Edge vs River Cafe


Hi nywhiz





You are correct - a lot of questions. Forgive my complete ignorance, but I guess I just assumed that %26#39;Water%26#39;s Edge%26#39; and %26#39;River Cafe%26#39; were within the same vicinity as they appear as kind-of rivals in other posts, I should have read a little more it seems! I%26#39;m not at all worried about the value or cost of the River Cafe, I was more concerned about the overall ambience of one as opposed to the other.





I thought about visiting Ground Zero in the morning and heading across - by subway - to Clarke Street and walking to the River Cafe from there. I wasn%26#39;t sure whether the bridge should be walked daytime or nightime - probably both I think. I%26#39;m at a loss how to combine this.





Thanks for your response.




Don%26#39;t apologize. It%26#39;s easy to see the confusion. If you look at a map, (even the subway map will do)



http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm



you%26#39;ll see Water%26#39;s Edge is across the East River near the 59 st bridge while River Cafe is across the EAst River at the Brooklyn Bridge at the south end of Manhattan near Clark St. and High ST.





With a short trip, if this is your first trip to NYC, I think any time you walk the bridge will be great (assuming the weather is good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment