Thursday, April 26, 2012

4th part....

1.10.06





For some strange reason I didn鈥檛 feel 100% this morning. I was indeed a suffering you- know- what. We were due to meet NYCgirl, Lou and Steve at 11.00, it was raining heavily as we headed off to the subway and my spirits were low( although not the level of spirit). Off on the A train to the Cloisters, it only took 25 minutes or so, by which time the rain had stopped. We found the New Leaf caf茅 for a much needed cuppa and this perked me right up. It looks a great place to eat, the brunch menu was great.



We did the garden tour which was starting very shortly after, and spent a while wandering the building. The admission entitles you to same day Met admission, but I don鈥檛 think I could manage that. Decided to go back downtown on the M4 bus which was really interesting as you get to see so many different things on the journey. There was some parade or other ( found out to be Pulaski Day Parade) and this caused such a backlog of traffic, we all got off the bus at about E63rd and walked down to the new Apple Store. NYCgirl headed home, the rest of us went into the store. This place is so cool.



Headed back home for a rest and came across the strangest Mariachi band on the train鈥hey had a double bass player! Strolling was difficult for them I can tell you. After entertaining us and passing the hat around they got off the train( apart from one chap who walked through to the next carriage) and got in the next door-----they were making their way down the train! They were actually very good.





We were going to try and get to Brooklyn to walk the bridge for sunset but weekend subway timetabling was against us and we realised on the way down that we were never going to make it, so we went to the Village where we wandered a while and went to Chumleys for dinner and a pint. Being English, it was fish and chips for me and shepherds pie for him. The waitress gave us a free round of drinks as our order was going to be slightly late. She also threw in a souvenir glass. The pumpkin ale is recommended. We had an earlyish night as I was exhausted and tomorrow was going to be a long day with it being Burger and Beer night.





Pt1 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k82182鈥?/a>





Pt2 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k82192鈥?/a>





Pt3 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k82289鈥?/a>



4th part....


I don%26#39;t know how you managed to get out of bed! But bravo for making the trip to the Colisters. You sure have fitted so much into this trip.



4th part....


Karen--Finally got around to reading all of your reports so far which I%26#39;ve totally enjoyed. You%26#39;ve both done so much and you are not even up to the day where we got together.




I%26#39;m exhausted! And we haven%26#39;t even gotten to Burger and Beer!




Daisie: I always love your contributions to this forum but I am totally engaged and amused by this series of trip reports! Thanks for bringing your trip to life. It is just too fun to read....I can%26#39;t imagine how fun yet exhausting it was to experience. Moms




Daisie: I always love your contributions to this forum but I am totally engaged and amused by this series of trip reports! Thanks for bringing your trip to life. It is just too fun to read....I can%26#39;t imagine how fun yet exhausting it was to experience. Moms




I%26#39;m enjoying it so much, I posted twice! Moms






This sounds like a *great* day.



How long was the garden tour at the Cloisters? Did you love it?



(.... not sure I like the sound of pumpkin ale though ...)




Is pumpkin ale supposed to be a hangover cure? Sounds like it%26#39;d have the opposite effect on me.





Some days it seems there%26#39;s a never-ending parade of beggers and musicians making their way through the subway cars, but I particularly love the mariachi bands.




I don%26#39;t know how you managed to getup and out this morning, I would have still been in bed lol. Another great day report :o)




I am also enjoying reading about your trip. I think I read them out of order at first, but still intersting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment