Monday, April 23, 2012

I need a kick in the butt or something

Hi everyone,





Ok, here%26#39;s the deal.





My husband is working in Manhattan from Nov. 6th until Nov.10th, he will then have that following weekend free.





Here is the truth....





I want to go to NYC, I have been there once, with my husband and daughter, but this time I will be on my own during the day and I am scared to go out by myself during the day. I am not scared of people, I just get turned around really easily, my sense of direction is way off, I just don%26#39;t do well when I am in unfamiliar territory.





What suggestions can you give me to get over my fear? Any books with REALLY good directions, I mean really, really good :)





I have read all the post on Solo Travelers.





I thought of going to one of the museums one day, surely I could get there on my own.





Another day: NY Party Shutlle or Marvelous Manhattan, that would take a lot of the day.





Maybe request a greeter, is it too late?





Thanks so much everyone.



I need a kick in the butt or something


Is it too late for a greeter?



Absolutely not, apply now online, you never know.



www.bigapplegreeter.org





Above 14th Street NYC is a grid, not that difficult to naviagate once you are out and about a bit. A good map will absolutely come in handy. I just picked up a small book called ';The New York Mapguide'; which is fantastic, has maps of all the areas with all of the sites, really great. It is published by Penguin Books by Michael Middleditch. I suggest buying this %26amp; reading it, plus it is small and easy to carry with you.





NY Party Shuttle Or Marvelous Manhattan would be good options as well, especially on your first day alone, you will get a sense of how to get around and the lay of the land.





Walking NYC is the way to experience it, I would say you will be fine, if you get a bit lost, just ask someone. Trust me, when people seeing you with a map looking lost, they will approach you.





Please, don%26#39;t let this stop you from having a great time in NYC!!!



I need a kick in the butt or something


Thanks again NYCgirl, you are a great help and motivator. I do not want to miss this opportunity because of my fear, that%26#39;s for sure.




What%26#39;s the worst that can happen? You walk a few blocks out of your way, and have to turn around...you get on the wrong subway and don%26#39;t realize for 2 or 3 stops...you get off, go up the stairs, down the stairs, and back the way you came...





Map out a plan each day, ask here if you need specific directions...and if you get lost ask on the street - I%26#39;ve found that while everyone seems like they are rushing by the minute you say ';excuse me, I%26#39;m lost'; they STOP and help you.





It will be very empowering and you will have a wonderful time!




Thanks warmwinds for the encouragement, you are right, it would be empowering!




Oh, I%26#39;m so jealous!! I just returned from a trip to New York with four friends, and my favorite thing to do is wander alone at my own pace. You%26#39;ll have such a great time. I bought some really wonderful ';cards'; called City Walks - New York - 50 Adventures on Foot. They start you at one subway stop, take you on a walk of about a mile through certain areas, and leave you off an another subway stop. The path for each walk is clearly marked on the front of each card, with what you will see described on the back - Very easy to follow, and really fun - I highly recommend them, and use them every trip.





amazon.com/City-Walks-York-Adventures-Foot/d鈥?/a>





I also recently purchased yet another great map, this one is called Manhattan @tlas, and it has all the streets with the buildings, and the subway stops clearly laid out so you can very easily find your way. After your first hour or so, you%26#39;ll get your bearings and get comfortable with being alone. And, the locals are so nice and helpful, all you have to do is ask if you get lost, and you%26#39;ll be right back on track. Have a GREAT time!!




I understand your fears - I have the worst sense of direction ever! But I had no problems at all navigating my way around the City. The only time I ran into trouble was when I ventured into the Village where the streets don%26#39;t run on the grid system.





Definitely take a guided tour (I loved the Marvellous Manhattan tour) to get a feel for the city and a lay of the land. That and a good map will ensure you don%26#39;t get lost.





Go and enjoy!




Have a laminated map handy and take a cab to get you from point A to B, follow the route along with your map as you go, it will help you get your bearings.





Diamonds are nice, but cabs can also be a girl%26#39;s best friend.




WOW, thanks so much everyone, great advice!





Thanks chissis for the references, I%26#39;m going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to look for the city walk book, that sounds really easy, a good map is a terrific idea with the buildings marked, Great stuff guys.......THANK YOU




All this advice is spot on... get out there and walk and you will find your own adventures and discover the City your own way. Personally, I think a lot of visitors miss the real City. They are too busy doing all the touristy things (with other tourists) going to the touristy spots (with other tourists) eating at the ';known'; restaurants (with other tourists) -- I think you get the point, Really, there is nothing special about another Applebees or Hard Rock just cause it is in Manhattan. This City was built and continues to thrive due to those who make their own way. Walk. Wander. Get lost. Look up. Get on side streets. Feel the different neighborhoods. You%26#39;ll have a ball!




Hi,





I%26#39;ll in Manhattan on the same days as you! My husband is going for business, I%26#39;ll be on my own from November 6-8th. I have the same fears as you do. Where are you staying? Maybe we could hookup and go shopping or siteseeing. I have already booked a Greeter, you%26#39;re welcome to join us. I%26#39;ve never been to NY either. I have the sane concerns as you have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment