Thursday, April 26, 2012

South Bronx

I%26#39;m going to be in New York for a day next week and was thinking about having a look at my dad%26#39;s old neighborhood. I%26#39;d probably take the subway to 3rd Ave and 138th and walk from there over toward Willis Ave. Is that a good idea (or a bad one)? I know the South Bronx has had a bad reputation but I%26#39;ve also read recently about things turning around a bit particularly in Mott Haven. Thanks in advance for any advice.

South Bronx

I would not be concerned about walking in that area in the daytime. I worked for a number of years in the early 1980s on 149 Street and Third Avenue and I never felt unsafe during the day and the South Bronx is much better now. BTW, the subway stop is on 138 Street and the Grand Concourse but only a short block to Third Avenue.

South Bronx

I agree with the above post . I grew up on the Upper West Side at 71 B';way and traveled often to the South Bronx.


Well, it still ain%26#39;t a rose garden! I go to Lincoln Hospital every so often, and the area is okay, but not great. I agree with the above, but just so you know, it%26#39;s still a poor/working class neighborhood. It has a big Latino population, so a little rudimentary Spanish can be helpful. Most of the buildings there are great examples of typical NYC walk-up apartments and large apartment buildings, where real people live.


It is truly amazing that an area like the South Bronx, which was completely vilified during the 70%26#39;s and 80%26#39;s as the worst slum in America, is now pretty much a safe area to walk around in during the day.

I%26#39;ve spent time there even at late hours and have never felt threatened. Your mileage may vary, of course, but (for better or worse) the area is being gentrified and is becoming more safe.


Good point, SoxFan!


Just reading the title made me sing in my head ';south bronx, South, South Bronx';

lol


Thanks for the replies, everyone. I figured it would be okay but no harm in asking the people who know. Yo hablo un poco de espanol, tambien. Thanks again, cheers.

  • make up
  • vb
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment