Monday, April 23, 2012

B & B indecision

I am probably being too anal for anyone to help, but here goes. Trying to decide between Inn on 23rd. The rate quoted is $50.00 more than website - I know that can be possible - but they also will not guarantee desired room. It is many months off and I have never ran into such a thing and have stayed at many b %26amp; b%26#39;s. That is usually one of the cool things is picking which room?? They also have high cancellation fees.

Other choices Abingdon and west-eleventh. I know the neighborhoods somewhat, from many previous NYC trips, but just wondering if anyone can advise me. These two have only $50 cancel fees.

All are similarly priced. Also looked at a few hotels like Washington Park and similar - but these B %26amp; B%26#39;s seem a bit nicer. Thanks!

B %26amp; B indecision

I understand why small establishments have a (sometimes hefty)cancellation fee, but the Inn on 23rd%26#39;s refusal to guarantee a requested room would prompt me to rule that one out. My vote would be for the Abingdon: its venue feels like such a step back in time (in the best sense), nice establishment with decor I prefer over that of West Eleventh nor is it as ';intimate'; as West Eleventh... fair notice: I%26#39;m not a fan of the smaller, more intimate B%26amp;B experience with hovering hosts, but you may not share my preference in this regard.

B %26amp; B indecision

Thank you. Now, I have received a call back from Abington and they want over $500.00 deposit for 4 nights - nonrefundable. Yikes. So, I just called Inn on 23rd and they say they CAN guarantee rooms if they are not a triple occupancy room. I guess this is in case someone calls later needing a triple. That does make more sense.

So, what do you think?


I%26#39;m lost. YOu haven%26#39;t told us what you%26#39;re looking for, whether you think there%26#39;s a chance you might have to cancel, what the price is. WHY they say it%26#39;s $50 more than website etc.

Have you looked at Wymanhouse.com and 1871house.com Both in different neighborhoods, but you can compare rooms/prices/policies.


It seems there has been some kind of misunderstanding:

according to the Abingdon%26#39;s web site, a deposit of 50% of the cost of the stay is a condition of making your reservation; if you cancel no later 10 days ahead of your anticipated arrival during the holiday period of November 1 - January 2 -- and 7 days ahead of time during the rest of the year -- all but $50 will be refunded to you. A ';last-minute'; cancellation will result for as much a 4-nights stay (depending on length of your original reservation) being charged to your credit card, unless they are able to re-let your room to another guest.

www.abingdonguesthouse.com/policies.shtml

I can tell you that a 50% is generally the B%26amp;B norm, unless it%26#39;s a reservation being made on short notice (e.g., within 2 weeks of anticipated arrival) in which case it%26#39;s not unheard of for a B%26amp;B to require as much as full payment in advance. Nor are the Abingdon%26#39;s cancellation policies unusual.. e.g., West 11th Townhouse%26#39;s allowable cancellation periods are 10 and 7-days, but even if you cancel before the 10-day time limit for the holiday period, you%26#39;ll still be billed for a 1-night stay.

http://www.west-eleventh.com/policies.htm

So if, for whatever reasons, you think it%26#39;s not unlikely that you%26#39;ll be cancelling your trip on short notice, then you%26#39;d be better off making a no-deposit, cancellable reservation with a hotel; I don%26#39;t know of any B%26amp;B which takes such reservations.


We do not plan to cancel, but anything can happen you know. They said the price on the website is incorrect and they are planning to change it very soon. I did look at 1871 but not the other, will look at it now. Thanks. Basically want to stay in a neighborhood, rather than tourist area - which I have always done before. As mentioned, I am familiar with areas, but not specific streets, addresses.


I know that is what Abindon%26#39;s website said, that I why I was so taken aback when they called today. She said it was because we were booking over 6 months out. I got a bad vibe anyway and have really crossed them of the list for now. It just doesn%26#39;t feel like a good fit for us.

Since Inn on 23rd can now guarantee specific rooms (and they are very nice on phone and emails) I think we may just go with them. $50.00 cancel fee and more on short notice is more than generous - as west-eleventh does . Over $500.00 per room is just too much in my opinion and I can%26#39;t put my mind around the logic of being penalized with a higher cancel fee for booking early. This a big deal celebration trip for us and we plan early for such things.

Thanks again for everyone%26#39;s posts.


do make sure, edithann, that you and Inn on 23rd are ';on the same page';.... what you%26#39;ve just described -- a cancellation fee of merely $50 -- is not what%26#39;s appearing on its web site: that sets forth a policy of *no* refund (even in part) of the 1-night%26#39;s deposit. Rather, they give a credit of the 1-night deposit towards another stay (which may not be an attractive option for you) for cancellations made 8 days or more before anticipated arrival; a closer-in-time cancellation results in a forfeiture of the 1-night deposit.

http://www.innon23rd.com/rates.html

good luck!


Thanks Cockle Cove. You must have misread what I said. They are not one I mentioned with a $50.00 cancel fee. They are one night, which is common. I ';think'; I am good to go know. Thanks again.


Another idea if there is a large deposit is trip insurance. Most will refund deposits if the trip is cancelled for medical or some other emergency reason and are usually not that expenisive.

  • Free quilt patterns for baskets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment