Thursday, April 26, 2012

Empire state build or top o/t rock? & how about nutcracker?

Hello





Planning our nyc trip and I%26#39;m wondering... what%26#39;s the difference between empire state building and top of the rock? Which has the higher observatory? We want to go in the evening to get a twilight/night view.





Also, we%26#39;re thinking of maybe seeing the nutcracker ballet. If we go, it would definitely have to be in the cheaper seats. Considering I didn%26#39;t really enjoy the Rockettes Xmas show, would the nutcracker ballet be something I could appreciate better? Would you say it%26#39;s a nyc holiday time must see? I already checked prices and the cheapest seats are Fourth Ring, rows C and above. What kind of view would you get from up there? Here%26#39;s the link to the seating chart just in case...





%26lt;http://www.nycballet.com/nyst/seating.html?TierSlicer1_TSMenuTargetID=77%26amp;TierSlicer1_TSMenuTargetType=1%26amp;TierSlicer1_TSMenuID=17%26gt;





Thanks for your help!



Empire state build or top o/t rock? %26amp; how about nutcracker?


I%26#39;ve never done the empire state building, so I can%26#39;t compare. What I do know from friends that have done both - they like top of the rock better. I%26#39;ve heard that it is a nicer experience with better views.





I love the nutcracker and find that it isn%26#39;t really the holiday season for me unless I see it. I love the music and the dancing. I would see it anyday over the rockettes, but it is a matter of preference. Do you like ballet, the music of the nutcracker, or the storyline? If not - don%26#39;t go.





I also like the high seats - rings 2 and above. The nutcracker uses the complete stage, including the back and if you are too low - you don%26#39;t get the full effect, in my opinion. I%26#39;ve never sat higher than ring 4 row F. it is a spectaular view - just very high up. if you don%26#39;t have a fear of heights - you should be ok. Ring 4 - rows A %26amp; B have more leg room though. I%26#39;m not sure the price difference - but it might be worth it.



Empire state build or top o/t rock? %26amp; how about nutcracker?


Whilst the TOTR is a nicer experience ESB is much better at night. TOTR has a great view of Central Park but at night this is just black......if you can I%26#39;d do ESB at night TOTR during the day if you have to do just one and it has to be at night then then ESB.





ESB is higher, queues are longer and staff aren%26#39;t as friendly. There is, however, just something special about the ESB which I can%26#39;t quite put my finger on!




I agree with the last post. Do both. They offer different perspectives and after all the ESB is an icon. We did both in Aug. ESB at sunset and TOTR on a sunny morning. no lines at TOTR if time is an issue. Enjoy!




Have you been to a ballet before? If so, how did you like it? Nutcracker is a wonderful ballet, but if you are not a ballet fan in general, you may not enjoy it. My daughter was in our local Nutcracker for 10 years, and I was always amazed to hear some first-timers leaving the theater complaining because there was no talking in it! It is very entertaining, and it moves pretty quickly except for some of the variations in the second act. I%26#39;ve never seen NYCB%26#39; s version of the Nutcracker, but I have seen the Radio City Show. I would opt for Nutcracker if I could only choose one, but I am a huge ballet lover.




If you can do both I would suggest TOTR in the day for the view of the ESB and the ESB at night for the night time view - having done both myslef.




What didn%26#39;t you like about the Radio City Xmas show? What sort of shows do you like?




Thanks for your suggestions. Like you say, we may do both!





About the ballet vs Xmas Spectacular... I can%26#39;t put my finger on it. I%26#39;m not really sure why I didn%26#39;t enjoy the Rockettes. They just didn%26#39;t capture my attention. I liked the sets and the music but when it came to the actual kicking... it could only take so much, I guess. I%26#39;ve never been to a ballet, so I guess if I%26#39;m going to do it once it might as well by the NYC Ballet and the Nutcracker.




Thanks for you suggestions... decided to buy tickets after all. We%26#39;re going to be sitting up high (4th ring row A or B) but I figure that%26#39;s ok. I%26#39;m actually getting excited... I hope i like the show... by husband on the other hand is not that thrilled. ';Whatever you want'; he said, so I bought the tickets!






hi



we did ESB at night and TOTR in daytime...i loved both, TOTR has best all round view but ESB is amazing ... go to the 102nd floor..




Greetings





You will have a great view from Row A or B in the 4th ring. There aren%26#39;t really any bad seats in the New York State Theatre - the choice of seats really depends on your budget, and to some extent, the ballet which you are seeing.





I actually prefer to be lower down for the %26#39;Nutcracker%26#39;, as viewing from above reveals some of the special effect %26#39;tricks%26#39; used, but it can be fun to see how it%26#39;s done.





I would reccomend bringing a pair of opera glasses (binoculars) if you can, because though the 4th ring is not that far up compared to most theaters, you won%26#39;t see the faces like you would from lower down. And it%26#39;s fun to watch the little things happening on the stage - since the company performs the ballet 40+ times each year, there is a certain bit of %26#39;improv%26#39; in the 1st act party scene.





If you are interested, the company posts casting - generally the Wednesday of the week before the performance. You can see who will performing and look at the pictures of the dancers (the program only has pictures of the principal dancers). ';The Nutcracker'; is always great because there a lot of solo roles, so you%26#39;re likely to see lots of different dancers from new apprentices to the most senior principals.





Have fun!



Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment